These delicious muffins are an adaptation from Elana Amsterdam’s version in The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook. As a Fort Collins Nutritionist, I gave them a few healthy tweaks by removing some of the oil and salt, and adding some extra moisture with applesauce. Almond flour is wonderful to use in your healthy baking projects this holiday season since its full of protein, vitamins and minerals, and suitable for those on the gluten free diet. These muffins make a great breakfast recipe, snack, or dessert. Give them a try– you won’t be sorry!
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: about 30 minutes
2 cups almond flour, blanched
1/4 cup arrowroot starch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup applesauce
3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 apples, peeled and cored, diced finely
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Put 12 muffin liners in a muffin pan.
2. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
3. Whisk all of the wet ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl and stir to combine. Fold in the diced apples
4. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups until 2/3 full.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Note: If you’re wondering where to get high quality finely ground blanched almond flour, go to Nuts.com! I’m a huge fan as their products are fresh, allergy-friendly, and shipping is really fast.