Baked apples say fall like no other healthy real food dessert I know. While classic baked apples are filled with butter, sugar, nuts, and raisins, I like to add some oats for a whole grain twist. These Inside-Out Apple Crisp style baked apples are easy to whip up on a weeknight, weekend, or for a fantastic fall brunch. This recipe is gluten free and dairy free and is a quick and easy real food recipe. Give it a try today!
Baked Apples (aka Inside-Out Apple Crisp)
Yield: 4 baked apples
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: about 1 hour
1/4 cup old fashioned oats (gluten free if needed)
1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/4 cup raisins
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon allspice)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Core 4 apples and place in a baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine all filling ingredients.
- Scoop the filling into the center of each apple and pack with a spoon.
- Pour about 1 cup of hot water into the bottom of the baking dish and cover apples with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove the foil, and bake for 20 to 30 more minutes or until apples are soft.
- Serve hot and enjoy!