When I was a kid, I used to take marshmallow, peanut butter, and butter ooey gooey rice crispy treats to gymnastics meets. While they were delicious, they probably weren’t the best choice for fueling sports performance. This recipe for Crispy Brown Rice Treats tastes very similar to that of my childhood, but with some serious ingredient upgrades.
This real food recipe is an adaptation from one of my all-time-favorite cookbooks, The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook. Crispy Brown Rice Treats make a great snack, dessert, or surprise for your sweetheart. Try them today!
2 tablespoons coconut oil
3/4 cup brown rice syrup
3/4 cup peanut butter, almond butter, or sunflower seed butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 cups crispy brown rice cereal (GF if needed)
- Rub coconut oil on the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Measure crispy brown rice cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, add coconut oil, brown rice syrup, and nut or seed butter. Stir with a whisk until small bubbles form around the edges of the pan. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour liquid over brown rice cereal and stir until cereal is thoroughly coated. Pour into the baking pan and press with parchment paper, the back of a large spoon, or with your hands.
- Top with gogi berries, dried cranberries, chocolate chips, drizzle melted chocolate on top, or leave plain.
- Cut into bars once completely cooled. Store airtight. Enjoy!
Note: Make these your own by stirring in other goodies like raisins, dried cranberries, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, etc. in step 4.