This Grilled Vegetable Quinoa Salad is loaded with vegetables, color, and flavor. It highlights the fresh vegetables of late summer/early fall with peppers, onions, zucchini, and summer squash. Grilling fresh vegetables intensifies their flavor. This is a filling whole food recipe that is loaded with real food nutrition. Its perfect if you’re on the gluten free diet (or not). When the garden and Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) harvests are rolling in, this recipe will help you use up some of those veggies you’re not sure what to do with. Quinoa Salads like this one also make great lunches to take to work or school since they store well for days and are meant to be eaten cold or at room temperature. Enjoy!
Grilled Vegetable Quinoa Salad
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
1 cup quinoa
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or olive oil)
1 medium zucchini
1 green pepper
1 red onion
2 Portobello mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic or red wine vinegar
1. Rinse quinoa, dry roast quinoa in a saucepan, then add 2 cups water. Cook for 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Wash and slice veggies into 1/2″ thick strips. Toss with oil and grill for 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until veggies are crisp-tender.
3. Cut grilled veggies into 1/2 to 3/4″ chunks and set aside to cool.
4. Combine all ingredients for the dressing in a blender or whisk in a small bowl.
5. Once quinoa and veggies are cool, add vegetables, beans, and dressing. Toss until well combined.
6. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.