There are several different ways to bake sweet potatoes, but my favorite way is as follows. Baking sweet potatoes this way leaves the center tender yet flavorful and the skin crispy and delicious. While sweet potatoes take about 40 minutes to an hour to bake in the oven, the prep time is just a few minutes making this a quick and easy recipe loaded with real food nutrition, vitamins and minerals. Setting up a baked sweet potato bar with lots of toppings also makes for a fun dinner or meal for dinner guests. Give this whole food recipe a try today!
Baked Sweet Potatoes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes to 1 hour
1 sweet potato, per person
1/2 teaspoon grapeseed oil, per sweet potato
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Scrub sweet potatoes to remove dirt but do not peel. Pat sweet potatoes dry with a paper towel.
3. Poke holes in sweet potato with a fork all over. Using a basting brush or your fingers, lightly rub oil over skin.
4. Place sweet potatoes on baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. Flip over. Bake for 10 to 30 more minutes. Check for doneness periodically by poking sweet potatoes with a fork. When done, they should be soft (not squishy) and golden brown.
5. When done, cut a slit in the top of the sweet potatoes and fill with your favorite toppings like butter, cinnamon, chili, black beans, vegetables, avocado, or whatever you’d like. Serve hot. Enjoy!