When strawberries and rhubarb arrived in my CSA (community supported agriculture) share this week, my mind went wild with possibilities. These scrumptious muffins are a spin-off of my popular Apple Cinnamon Muffins and are a true tribute to summer. They are made with almond flour as a base which is loaded with protein, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals. They are good anytime of day (including breakfast) and are perfect for those on a gluten free diet. Give them a try– you won’t be sorry!
Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 to 30 minutes (15 to 20 minutes for mini-muffins)
Yield: 12 muffins or 24 mini-muffins
2 cups almond flour, blanched
1/4 cup arrowroot starch
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup applesauce
3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup rhubarb, finely diced
1/2 cup fresh strawberries, finely diced
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Put 12 muffin liners in a muffin pan or lightly oil a mini muffin tin.
2. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
3. Whisk all of the wet ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl and stir to combine. Fold in the diced rhubarb and strawberries.
4. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups until 2/3 full.
5. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (or 15 to 20 minutes for mini-muffins).
6. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Note: If you’re wondering where to get high quality finely ground blanched almond flour, go to Nuts.com! I’m a huge fan as their products are fresh, allergy-friendly, and the shipping is really fast.