If you\’re trying to figure out what to do with an over-abundance of zucchini, you\’re not alone! We had about 12 green and yellow zucchinis in our CSA share last week. As a Fort Collins Nutritionist, I came up with this simple, healthy, and tasty take on an old family favorite. It is a whole food recipe that is loaded with fresh vegetables, leafy greens, and fresh vegetables and it is naturally gluten free– real food nutrition at its finest!
Yield: about 8 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: about 1 hour
3 cups pasta sauce (in a jar or homemade)
3 medium to large zucchini (green and/or yellow)
1 bunch kale
1 cup mozzarella cheese or non-dairy cheese, shredded (if desired, optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Use a mandolin to slice zucchini or slice lengthwise into 1/8 inch slices. Remove stalks from kale and dice very finely.
- In a 13 x 9 inch baking dish, layer the ingredients until you run out. Start with a thin layer of pasta sauce on the bottom, then add a layer of zucchini slices, spread on more pasta sauce, sprinkle on some cheese, then sprinkle on some kale. Repeat each of the layers 2 to 3 more times alternating the directions of the zucchini slices.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and the zucchini is crisp-tender.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
Note: If you\’d like to add some extra protein to this lasagna, feel free to add cooked ground turkey, beef, bison, or tempeh to the pasta sauce and follow the recipe as directed.