Making a veggie omelet is a great way to fit in more fresh vegetables and lean protein in at breakfast, lunch, or dinner. If you\’re crunched for time in the morning, a really easy way to make a veggie omelet is to simply add leftover cooked veggies from dinner. This works great if you made something like Quick and Easy Kale for dinner. Veggie Omelets are also great with Sweet Potato Hash Browns.
Yield: serves 2 (or 4 as a side)
Total time: 10 minutes
2 teaspoons oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced or 1 teaspoon roasted garlic
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 to 2 cups kale, chopped
1/4 cup almond milk or other milk
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
1. Wash and prepare all veggies, then set aside.
2. Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and saute onions for 2 to 3 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and saute for 1 more minute.
3. Add bell pepper and kale. Saute for a couple minutes until kale is wilted and peppers are soft. Set veggies aside and wipe skillet clean with a paper towel (be careful, its hot)!
4. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and milk together.
5. Add some more oil to the skillet or use cooking spray to coat skillet evenly. Pour half of egg mixture into the pan. Allow to cook for about 1 minute, then add half of veggie mixture. Cook until eggs are firm then fold omelet in half with a spatula.
6. Slide omelet onto a plate and serve hot. Repeat step 5 to make the second omelet. Enjoy!
Note: This veggie omelet recipe is great with lots of different types of veggies. Try it with mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, or a sprinkle of goat cheese. Mix it up! Whatever veggies are in-season are best.