If you\’re looking for a filling one-pot meal perfect for the cold days of winter and early spring, this is your dish. The combo of kale, quinoa, white beans, and tomatoes makes for a colorful, nutritious, and tasty dinner. The quinoa and white beans provide plenty of protein and fiber while the kale, butternut squash, onions, and garlic provide loads of vitamins, minerals, and immune system-boosting antioxidants and phytochemicals. This hearty soup is quick and easy to make and cooks start to finish in about 30 minutes. Give it a try today!
Butternut Squash, Kale, and Quinoa Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
2 teaspoons grapeseed oil or olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves or 1 tablespoon roasted garlic
1/2 cup white quinoa, rinsed
1 tablespoon thyme, dried
1/2 to 1 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
4 cups vegetable broth
1 can (28 oz) plum tomatoes in juice, chopped
3 cups kale, chopped
2 cups Great Northern or white beans, cooked, rinsed, and drained (or one 15 oz can)
1. Prepare all vegetables and set aside.
2. Heat a large stockpot over medium-high heat and add oil. Add onions and saute for a few minutes or until onions are soft.
3. Add garlic, quinoa, thyme, and sea salt and saute for two more minutes.
4. Add butternut squash, vegetable broth, and plum tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes or until squash is tender and quinoa is cooked.
5. Remove lid and stir in kale and beans. Simmer for a couple more minutes.
6. Serve hot and enjoy!