Pizza is a true American staple food. For my clients and myself, the conflict arises when you want to eat a healthy real food diet. . . AND indulge in pizza.
There are so many different recipes, mixes, and ideas for gluten free pizza crust out there. I\’ve tried them all. . . boxed mixes with yeast, Chebe Pizza Crust Mix (made from tapioca flour which is as white as flour gets but tastes great and is quick to make), homemade crusts with a variety of flours, cauliflower crust, zucchini crust, eggplant slices for crust, etc. I actually kind of enjoyed the cauliflower and zucchini crust pizzas but my husband just couldn\’t wrap his head around putting pizza toppings on vegetables as being \”pizza\”. I don\’t blame him, they truly tasted more like lasagna than pizza.
When it comes to pizza, I\’ve been on the hunt to devise a recipe that is made from real food ingredients. It wasn\’t until recently that a light-bulb went off when I made an old favorite. . . Italian Almond Flour Flatbread. With some tweaks and minor modifications, this recipe makes the perfect gluten free pizza crust- it\’s crispy yet chewy, rises in the oven (without yeast which is a bonus), is quick and easy to make, and is made with mostly real food ingredients. Just make the crust and top with your favorite toppings– hint, hint veggies and pesto make great pizza toppings!
Gluten Free Pizza Crust
Yield: 16 x 12\” pizza, 6 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
2 cups almond flour, blanched
1 cup tapioca flour
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup grapeseed oil (or olive oil)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet (half sheet, 18 x 13″) with parchment paper.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk water and 1/4 cup oil together. Slowly add water mixture to dry ingredients while stirring until well combined. The dough should be pretty wet and sticky.
- Pour the dough onto the center of the baking sheet and spread to all four corners with the back of a spoon or rubber spatula.
- Bake crust for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, add desired toppings, then bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer or until crust is crispy (no longer gooey in the center) and the toppings are cooked.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!