It’s berry season! There are SO MANY things you can do with berries from smoothies to salad dressings to crisps.
These Berry Oat Bars are a delicious, simple, gluten free, dairy free treat that you can put together in no time for a snack or delectable dessert. Use whatever berries you’d like. . . blackberries, black raspberries, red raspberries, blueberries, chopped sweet cherries, or a berry blend all taste great. Yum!
Berry Oat Bars
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: 9 to 12 bars
1 1/2 cups oat flour (certified GF if needed or whole grain flour of choice)
1 cup rolled oats (certified GF if needed)
1/2 cup coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup coconut oil (or softened butter)
2 cups blackberries (or blueberries, raspberries, or blend)
2 tablespoons starch (arrowroot, tapioca, or corn starch)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 x 8″ pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, oats, palm sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and sea salt. Add in vanilla and coconut oil (or butter) and stir well to combine. Mixture will be crumbly.
- Pour oat mixture into bottom of pan, reserving 1 cup for the topping. Press oat mixture with your palm or a large spoon into the pan to create a crust.
- In another bowl, gently toss berries with starch to coat. Pour berries over crust and spread out in an even layer. Crumble remaining 1 cup of oat mixture over top of berries.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until topping and crust are lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan.
- Serve slightly warm or at room temperature. Store remaining bars in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- There are so many variations for these bars- don’t be afraid to mix up the recipe and make it your own. If blueberries are in season, use blueberries. You can also use frozen berries. You could replace the oat flour with any whole grain flour of your choice or use almond meal instead to increase the protein and healthy fats.
- These bars also freeze well. Wrap individually in parchment paper then place in a freezer bag until ready to eat.
Love em? Have a question? Leave a comment below.