Memorial Day is often referred to as the unofficial start of summer. As a Fort Collins Nutritionist and healthy recipe creator, strawberry season and Strawberry Shortcake in particular mark the start of summer for me! Sweet juicy strawberries picked fresh and perfectly in season combined with gluten free almond flour biscuits make this whole food recipe a grand slam. While you probably don’t eat desserts for their health benefits (I know I don’t!), its nice to know that this whole food recipe is filled with fiber, protein, and a wee bit of healthy sweeteners to make this classic dessert a great breakfast too.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
2 1/2 cups almond flour
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons almond milk (or milk of choice)
3 tablespoons maple syrup or agave
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups organic strawberries, washed and quartered
1.Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine the almond flour, baking soda, and sea salt in a large bowl.
3. Whisk together the almond milk, maple syrup, oil, eggs, and vanilla in a small bowl.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
5. Drop the shortcake biscuit batter onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets by heaping tablespoonfuls. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown and baked throughout. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
6. While biscuits are baking, prepare the strawberries.
7. To serve, top biscuits with strawberries. Enjoy!
Note: For an even more decadent treat, top with Whipped Coconut Cream!