These Homemade Chocolate Chip Granola Bars are gluten free and dairy free (if you want them to be) and they make great healthy snacks to pack. Instead of being filled with sugar and processed ingredients, these bars are sweetened with healthy sweeteners like raisins and brown rice syrup. This is a quick and easy recipe that is easy on the food budget. They make great food for backpacking or pack them as a snack to take to work or school. Enjoy this healthy and homemade alternative to store-bought energy or granola bars.
Homemade Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
Preparation time: 15 minutes
1/2 cup brown rice syrup (or honey)
1/2 cup almond butter (or other nut butter)
2 cups quick-cooking oats (gluten free if needed)
1 cup crispy brown rice cereal
1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
1/2 cup raisins
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (or chia seeds)
1. Combine the first three liquid ingredients in a large bowl and stir until mixed thoroughly.
2. Add all of the remaining ingredients and stir until well combined.
3. Lightly grease a 13 by 9 inch pan. Pour mixture into pan and press flat to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
4. Refrigerate the pan for about 20 minutes then slice the pressed granola mixture into bars.
5. Wrap bars in plastic wrap or parchment paper and store in the fridge or freezer until ready to eat.
6. Pack as a snack. Enjoy!
Note: Use this recipe as-is or add in extras like nuts or seeds to make this recipe your own.