These gluten free, dairy free, and vegan brownies are fudgy and delicious! The combo of zucchini and applesauce make them moist and gooey (and great with ice cream, frozen yogurt, or my husband’s favorite coconut milk ice cream). While you might think that brownies couldn’t come anywhere near “healthy” or even “not bad for you”, these do. These have fresh zucchini (a vegetable) and the base is almond flour (a nutrient rich source of protein, healthy fats, fiber, vitamins, and minerals like calcium and iron). No refined white sugar either– use maple syrup, honey, or agave as a healthy-er alternative. Gluten free diet or not, these are yummy!
Yield: about 12 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: about 45 minutes
2 cups almond flour, blanched
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1/2 cup maple syrup (agave or honey also work well)
1/4 cup applesauce
1 tablespoon vanilla
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Oil pan and dust 8 x 8” baking pan with almond flour.
2. Grate zucchini and set aside.
3. Combine dry ingredients and stir until well mixed. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla.
4. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Fold in grated zucchini.
5. Pour batter into pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
6. Remove from oven when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack.
7. Store in fridge. Enjoy!