As a Fort Collins Nutritionist, I get asked about brunch fairly often. The traditional fare of pancakes or french toast can be made healthier but often leave clients feeling heavy or sleepy from all the high glycemic carbs.
This recipe is great for brunch paired with Sweet Potato Hash Browns with Caramelized Onions. This Egg Frittata is loaded with kale, the most nutrient-dense leafy green! Fresh vegetables in the morning may be a change from your regular breakfast or weekend brunch routine but I encourage you to give it a try and see how you feel. Feel free to add bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, or any other veggies you’d like to add to make this real food recipe your own. Also, if you’re on the gluten free diet this recipe will add a nutrition boost without any gluten.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
1 teaspoon grapeseed oil
1 small onion, diced
1 cup kale, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt or Herbamare
2. Prepare all ingredients and beat eggs in a medium bowl. Lightly oil the bottom of a glass pie plate or 8 x 8 inch baking dish.
3. In a medium saucepan, saute onions and garlic in oil until soft, then add chopped kale. Saute for about 2 minutes or until kale turns bright green.
4. Add kale mixture, sea salt, and pepper to eggs. Pour mixture into pie plate or baking dish.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven when eggs are fully set.
6. Slice and serve hot. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.