This warming fall harvest vegetable stew is pretty quick and easy to make, delicious, and is a complete meal in one-pot. The unique sweet and savory flavor is derived from the spice blends (curry powder and garam masala) and the raisins. If you’re looking for something to do with an overabundance of fall CSA (community supported agriculture), garden, or farmer’s market vegetables, this recipe is for you. Give it a try today and serve over brown rice, quinoa, with polenta, or as a hearty meal all on it’s own. (Also naturally gluten free and dairy free, in case you’re wondering.)
Fall Harvest Vegetable Stew
Yield: 8 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons garam masala (see notes)
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
3 carrots, diced
3 medium potatoes, diced
1 delicata squash, peeled and diced
½ cup raisins
1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
1 cup water
2 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 15.5 ounce can, drained
3 cups cooking greens (kale, spinach, tatsoi, etc.), chopped
- In a large pot, sauté onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until soft. Add spices and salt and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add carrots, potatoes, squash, raisins, tomatoes, and water. Cover pot and cook for about 25 minutes or until all vegetables are tender. Add more water if needed.
- Add chickpeas and greens and cook for about 5 minutes more or until greens are wilted.
Recipe adapted from The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook by Tom Malterre and Alissa Segersten
- This recipe can also be made in a slow cooker. Combine all ingredients except chickpeas and cooking greens in the slow cooker and cook on high for about 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. About 10 minutes before serving, add chickpeas and greens and stir to combine. Serve when greens are wilted.
- To make your own garam masala spice blend, combine the following and store sealed (recipe from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/142967/easy-garam-masala/):
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
8 servings. Each serving contains: 339 calories, 5g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 293mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate, 13g dietary fiber, 17g sugars, 14g protein, 175% DV (daily value) vitamin A, 114% DV vitamin C, 13% DV calcium, and 28% DV iron.