This super simple summer salad is cool, crisp, and refreshing. This quick and easy recipe is loaded with real food nutrition. It’s perfect for those on a gluten free diet (or not) since this Sweet and Sour Cucumber Salad is loaded with fresh vegetables and is naturally gluten free.
Go ahead, make it and take it to the next summer picnic, potluck, or party you’re invited to. Your friends and family will love it too!
Sweet and Sour Cucumber Salad
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 3 hours minimum (to allow flavors to blend)
4 English cucumbers, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper or chile flakes
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
1 tablespoon raw honey (or organic cane sugar)
1/2 cup rice vinegar (GF)
5 green onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
1. In a large bowl, toss the sliced cucumbers and salt. Let stand for 30 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together minced garlic, red pepper, sesame seeds, agave, and rice vinegar.
3. Once cucumbers have stood for 30 minutes, put cucumbers in a colander. Rinse well then drain. Press cucumbers with your hands to remove excess water and allow to drain well.
4. In a serving bowl, toss cucumbers, dressing, and green onions.
5. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (or overnight) before serving. Serve chilled. Enjoy!
Notes: To slice the cucumbers evenly and quickly, I recommend using a good quality Mandoline Slicer or the side of a box grater. Combining cucumbers with salt draws excess water out of cucumbers and keeps them crispy instead of soggy.